Re: [XaraXtreme-dev] Ping

On 2/15/07, Carl Worth <cworth@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  And speaking of inkscape...

* "Why does inkscape get all the community love?"

  I think inkscape's got a few things going in its favor:

    1. It's in all the distributions

    2. There's no binary blob in it

    3. There's no uncertainty due to "corporate ownership"

I think you forgot at least one more thing:

4. SVG as native format. It may not matter for most users, but it's
very important for developers. SVG is everywhere these days. It is
easy to learn, XML-based, and therefore very hackable. Lots of people
know it and use it. This very often leads them into Inkscape
development. They would start with Python extensions that are
ridiculously easy to write (another Inkscape thing Xara misses) and
then gradually get involved with the core.

XAR is now open too, but it's binary, and not used anywhere outside of
Xara. For me at least, it's just not enough motivation to learn it.

--
bulia byak
Inkscape. Draw Freely.