[XaraXtreme-dev] "error in resource" upon startup

I just built 0.3r711 on linux and something must have gone wrong:
- make install only installs one header file and one binary
- upon startup, I get a window with "error in resource" and the following log
details:
12:47:25: No handler found for XML node 'object', class 'wxCamArtControl'!
12:47:25: Error in resource.
12:47:25: No handler found for XML node 'object', class 'wxCamArtControl'!
12:47:25: Error in resource.
12:47:25: No handler found for XML node 'object', class 'wxCamArtControl'!
12:47:25: Error in resource.
(repeated several times)

The app windows has many icons and buttons missing.

So, what did go wrong on my build? I used:
- gtk 2.8.16
- wxWidgets 2.6.3-rc2

all self built.

The console also shows that I don't have an icon called "gnome-fs-home" and
the "hicolor" theme, would that be the cause?