Re: [XaraXtreme-dev] Xara Xtreme 4.0 released

On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 3:28 PM, Philipp Schmieder
<WishMaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Well, I don't think we'll get Xara 4.0 for Linux, will we?

Why not check out the new Inkscape 0.46 instead?

It's a major new release with a ton of innovative new features,
usability and performance improvements:

http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/ReleaseNotes046

Just check out the (incomplete) per-feature comparison of Inkscape and Xara:

http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Xara_X

That list needs updating for Xara 4, and I plan to do this once I find
time for testing it. (Any contributions will be appreciated, of
course.) Just from the description, it looks like in version 4 Xara
tries, among other things, to catch up with some advances in Inkscape
(e.g. the "scribble selection" sounds a lot like touch selection in
Inkscape). This is great news, we always welcome good competition :)

In my perception, with release 0.46 Inkscape is reaching an end of its
"focus on the basics" stage. Most vector editing essentials are
finally there, and the gaps are filling fast. Now we are witnessing an
explosive feature growth fueled by Inkscape's and SVG's flexibility:
SVG filter stacks are endlessly powerful; the Live Path Effects system
promises a lot of new goodies (such as geometric and technical drawing
features,  easy variable-width strokes, true perspective distortions);
the snapping system is extensive and powerful; built-in scripting is
finally within reach; etc.

Of course with all this growth it is a challenge to prevent UI bloat
and to enforce consistency, and I think now we will have to pursue
this more aggressively. Various code refactoring projects are underway
to unify the codebase, drop some of the old cruft, and improve
performance. Still, the relative laxity and permissiveness of
development so far have been vital for the success of Inkscape and for
its gaining mindshare. As a result, now we have plenty of enthusiastic
developers, and it's never been so much fun to work on Inkscape :)

--
bulia byak
Inkscape. Draw Freely.