RE: [XaraXtreme-dev] Current/default font

In message <5056CBC646CB4047BB26120F4377DB71DC841F@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

          "Gerry Iles" <GerryI@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [good summary snipped]
>
> The issue here seems to be that if the current font attribute in a
> document is not installed, whether we can change it to one that is
> installed.

Not quite. Nobody objects to changing the current attribute (though
below, you give an example where this might not be desired). The
question this is all about is whether the default font attribute in
the tree should be changed.

>  There should be no danger whatsoever in changing the current
> attributes to ones that make sense for the user's machine.  The only
> issue I can really come up with is if someone creates a template for a
> specific purpose that has the current font set to something explicit, if
> the current font is silently changed because you don't have the correct
> one installed then text you create will not be in the "correct" font.

Well, if someone creates a template for his own use and specifically
sets a certain current font and really cares about what this current
font is, then would you not expect that person to use a font that is
actually installed? And if he moves the template to a different
machine and continues using it there and sees a different font come up
when he selects the text tool, what is the problem? Either he will not
care, or he will thing "hang on, I wanted the current font after
it from the font menu and realize that the font is not installed on
this machine. So, I do not see a possible case where this will lead to
user dissatisfaction or the user thinking that the program is wrong.

And even if it did, the advantages of changing the current font are so
tremendous that would easily outweigh even more important
disadvantages than this rather exotic scenario.

Martin