Re: [XaraXtreme-dev] Ping

On Thu, 2007-02-15 at 08:35 -0800, frank gaude' wrote:
> Jed Frechette wrote:
> > On Thursday 15 February 2007 8:03 am, Charles Moir wrote:
> >> So we still hope and look forward to the time where the community can
> >> help us develop the product and achieve that original goal to create the
> >> best graphics product that has ever existed on the Linux (and other)
> >> platforms. We're still working very hard to make that happen.
> >
> > This is great to hear.
> >
> > I can certainly understand the frustration that I sense in your email
> > but I
> > think Rob is right on all points. I can't foresee a lot of community
> > support
> > as long as you or MAGIX or any future owners of the code can essentially
> > cripple the project by deciding to halt distribution of the binary.
> Who does it is possible at this point for the "free CDRAW" binary to be
> halted?

Xara own the copyright on it.  Sure, you could continue distributing it
and infringe their copyright should they remove it.  But that's hardly a
solution.

The problem boils down to this:  Free software people don't want to
spend their valuable free time improving somebody else's product in this
way - especially when Xara *could* pull the plug on the project at any
moment and make those contributions useless to the author.  *That's*
their concern.  Many people just won't be interested in helping until
the problem's solved.

B.