Re: [XaraXtreme-dev] Ping

Rob Kendrick wrote:
On Thu, 2007-02-15 at 08:35 -0800, frank gaude' wrote:
Jed Frechette wrote:
On Thursday 15 February 2007 8:03 am, Charles Moir wrote:
So we still hope and look forward to the time where the community can
help us develop the product and achieve that original goal to create the
best graphics product that has ever existed on the Linux (and other)
platforms. We're still working very hard to make that happen.
This is great to hear.

I can certainly understand the frustration that I sense in your email but I think Rob is right on all points. I can't foresee a lot of community support
as long as you or MAGIX or any future owners of the code can essentially
cripple the project by deciding to halt distribution of the binary.
Who says it is possible at this point for the "free CDRAW" binary to be halted?

Xara own the copyright on it.  Sure, you could continue distributing it
and infringe their copyright should they remove it.  But that's hardly a
solution.

The problem boils down to this:  Free software people don't want to
spend their valuable free time improving somebody else's product in this
way - especially when Xara *could* pull the plug on the project at any
moment and make those contributions useless to the author.  *That's*
their concern.  Many people just won't be interested in helping until
the problem's solved.

B.
Okay, I wonder if Xara Ltd. would issue a statement that the binary is not copyrighted, only the source? I wonder, once a company has released a binary as "free", can they ever take it back? Charles, what say you?

frank