Re: [XaraXtreme-dev] Release announcements?

On Tue, Apr 04, 2006 at 11:05:03AM +0100, Neil Howe wrote:
> > > We've not released 0.4 as the recommended version yet, we've just
> >
> > That's a slightly confusing way to do version numbering. I think
> > either you
> > should use the "-rc" convention, or only bump the version number on a
>
> I'm surprised it's confusing, but we'll do it differently next time. On
> the download page it seems pretty clear that the more stable recommended
> version is 0.3 and that 0.4 is a newer version which is likely to be
> less stable.
>
> I don't like labelling the current version -rc because that implies that
> the current build is a candidate for becoming the recommended version
> and that's just not the case. So I guess in future we'll just leave the
> version number unchanged until we do have a release candidate.

We had this same situation in Inkscape.  It became a problem when users
that were running the very bleeding edge development code where
reporting the version they were using as the unreleased next release
number.

The convention we adopted was to label the development code 0.42-SVN.
We use the -rc numbers for specific release candidates to test before
official releases, and the undecorated version number only for the
official release code.

Bryce