RE: Please test static .deb package Was: [XaraXtreme-dev]0.4Release

Hi,

Am Freitag, den 28.04.2006, 17:27 +0100 schrieb Neil Howe:
> Ok, thanks. I had no luck with the desktop file before but I just tried
> it again and it works. Probably a program name case mismatch problem
> before I think.
>
> I'll check in the desktop file and menu file.

Please don't check in the menu file. It is Debian specific, has to be
registered from withing the debian maintainer scripts. You can leave
that to the maintainer. But thanks for the .desktop file.

> I'm looking at using "ESP package manager"
> (http://www.easysw.com/epm/epm-book.html) to generate deb and rpm
> packages. I hope to be able to then have our build server building and
> publishing deb and rpm files to our web site along with, or instead of,
> the tar archive. If anyone thinks using this tool is a bad idea, please
> let me know. I've tried a generated deb file on Ubuntu and an rpm on
> Fedora and they seem to work fine.

While EPM might be a viable alternative to manual package creation, I
doubt the results can be better, so for all distributions / package
formats where people step up to maintain the package, you should go with
their package. If the one-or-two days delay after a new version is
really that big of a deal, autobuilding debian packge "the normal way"
would be possible, too.

> Joachim - I notice that your deb package puts all our example designs
> etc. under /usr/share/doc/xaralx. Whereas I see Inkscape for example,
> put there's under /usr/share/inkscape. So I'd prefer to put our files
> into /usr/share/xaralx unless you think this will go down badly for some
> reason.

Debian policy specifies that examples should go
do /usr/share/doc/xaralx/examples, and that is the first spot the usual
Debian users looks for them, as nearly all package adhere to that
standard. The inkscape maintainer might have his reasons, but I would
not have found the examples there.

> Another reason for doing this is that on Fedora every directory under
> /usr/share/doc has a version number as part of the name. Whereas it
> seems ok to have just /usr/share/xaralx on both distributions. This
> gives us some consistency instead of having the files in different
> places on different distributions.

Well, that is the purpose of package maintainer: We adjust packages to
fit in well into _our_ distribution, so it is nothing to worry about if
Fedora and Debian put their examples in different directories, as long
as their respective users can find them there.

If you want to send users to /usr/share/xaralx/examples, I can make that
a symlink to /usr/share/doc/xaralx/examples.

A suggestions along these lines: Would it be possible to specify a
"default first directory" for the Open File dialogue in some Makefile
that the package maintainers could then adjust to their examples
location?

Greetings,
Joachim
--