RE: [XaraXtreme-dev] Galleries and focus handling

Alex said
> * If a keyboard-editable control within a non-modal dialog
> receives a return
>   keypress, UNLESS IT PROCESSES THE KEYPRESS ITSELF it should
>   commit the contents of the current field. [this handles the bar
>   case]. If there is a default action (e.g. an apply button),
> it should also
>   perform that default action, in which case the default button should
>   be highlighted in some way so it is obvious which "apply"
> action will
>   take effect. Examples of where a control processes return itself are
>   (a) a multi-line text control where return should merely enter
>   a return in the multi-line text field, (b) where the drop down list
>   of a combo has been brought up, and return is used to select the
>   item within the list.

A plain menu (e.g. font list) similarly i.e. you can select a menu, use
arrow keys, or type, and press Return,(or Esc) to action (or cancel) the
menu selection.

> * If a keyboard-editable control within a non-modal dialog receives an
>   escape keypress, it should UNLESS IT PROCESSES THE KEYPRESS ITSELF
>   cancel any changes to the current field (restoring it to
> the previous
>   value, and then return focus to the selected document. An example of
>   a control processing the escape keypress itself would be a combo box
>   where the drop down is popped up, where escape should close the
>   drop-down (in this instance, a second escape would return focus
>   to the document).

Whoa - what's the second Esc here?  Esc means cancel this operation and
return focus back to the main canvas (just as return mean action it and
return focus to the document). You can't have two Escapes to do this
(not the way it works right now - in any OS that I'm aware of). This is
standard OS behaviour actually.

And for clarification this applies to all menus, whether Combo box menus
or plain menus.

Charles