RE: [XaraXtreme-dev] libstdc++5 or 6

--On 04 May 2006 20:30 +0100 Neil Howe <NeilH@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

So in summary owners of v5 based systems aren't able to run new
applications that are based on v6, without building something from
source or doing a major system upgrade.

So it seems for application vendors like us it's hard to benefit from
the newer compiler versions without losing a proportion (I wonder what
proportion?) of their potential user base. Or providing multiple
download alternatives of course, which is a pain and means the user has
to know which version they actually need for their system.

Not really. if you get into Ubuntu / debian etc. (I should think the
same is true for redhat), the distro takes care of all this for
you. In debian/ubuntu you have source packages, which will build
the correct version for the relevant version of the distro.

If you are "just" providing .debs (and I presume .rpms) then yes,
you may to an extent have to tailor them to the distribution.
But on Debian / Ubuntu, if you are going to the trouble of making
a .deb, making the source package is pretty much done for you.
So you just twiddle some settings and get a .deb for each distro
variant you want.

Alex