Re: [XaraXtreme-dev] autopackage

--On 15 May 2006 09:38 +0100 Phil Martin <phil@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Er, no. Neil didn't say anything about that. He said, "here's a package
tell me what happens". I did.

We can't expect end-users to fiddle around doing that sort of thing, can
we? I thought the point was to create a friendly installation method...

As far as I know, the only thing that you can download and it "does
anything" on a double click (without being executable) is the native
package type (rpm / deb). If autopackage itself is installed somehow or
the distro knows about it, it could set up a handler for it's own extension,
but if not, nothing is going to happen (and quite deliberately so).

There is a handy GUI mechanism for giving a file execute permission
which is on the autopackage site and ought to accompany our instructions.
FAQ number 2 (I think) is "it loads into gedit" so you aren't the
first to stumble upon this one.

Alex