Re: [XaraXtreme-dev] Formatting in wxStaticText?

Phil,

Phil Martin wrote:
Alex Bligh wrote:

Newlines are barred from labels in XRC I think, not least because
they are not compatible with gettext and translation (see the
zillion warnings on build).

Are you really saying that we can't store newlines in textual resources???

Allegedly gettext will not translate strings with \n in. Yes, bizarre
I know, but that seems to be one of the consequences of using gettext
for translation (and let's not revisit that argument again...).

That does seem to be the root of the problem I'm seeing - I have "\n" seqences in strings held in xrc resources and they are not being expanded into proper newline characters whereas, the statically bound _T("This\nis anewline") works fine.

There must be a way to represent newlines in string resource /somehow/, even if we can't use the standard "\n" for fear of upsetting gettext - someone must have wanted to do this before...???

Well if you don't mind doing SetStringGadgetValue (or similar) we could
just make %n (or something) into a newline in MakeMsg() - then they
could be stored in the resources, but not as static text in dialogs.

Alex