RE: [XaraXtreme-dev] Rescanning available fonts

In message <5056CBC646CB4047BB26120F4377DB719BA461@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

          "Charles Moir" <CharlesM@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Oh sure. But do we actually need the font list updated till
>> the user returns to the text tool? A poll on return to the
>> text tool would surely detect the change.
>
> Font gallery. Non-modal, permanently up, and a better way of viewing,
> (it shows all variations of all fonts) and selecting and applying fonts
> than in the text tool.

The question is what is better: Permanently scanning the font system
to detect changes or simply providing a "Rescan" button in the font
gallery? After all, users do not install new fonts all the time and
just in case XaraLX provided its own way of installing fonts then we
could easily make sure that our own information is updated
immediately.

There are a few simple cases to detect font changes, e.g., checking
the time stamps of the global and local fontconfig files and checking
the time stamp of the user's local font directory (by guessing the
most likely standard location - font directories can be anywhere).

Martin