Re: [XaraXtreme-dev] Rescanning available fonts

In message <446DDFCD.4080706@xxxxxxxxxxx>
          Alex Bligh <alex@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Unfortunately, as far as I can see, making the cache incremental was a
>> bit of a waste because even after installing a new font wxWidgets does
>> not list it, so it seems that the KDE message is right: We only see a
>> changed font set after restarting the application.
>
> Is that a wxWidgets problem (i.e. fixable), a pango problem (which
> is what I think wxWidgets calls) or a freetype problem?

It is probably in neither of these components.

As for FreeType, see my other e-mail.

It is certainly not wxWidgets, because that calls Pango directly.
Pango, or more accurately, PangoFc, the fontconfig-based backend
simply calls fontconfig. So, it all seems to boil down to fontconfig
not re-reading the font information.

Not being able to adjust to font installation changes seems to be a
common phenomenon for Linux applications. OpenOffice, for instance,
does not react to font installation changes either.

Martin