RE: [XaraXtreme-dev] Substituted fonts and Bug 1057

In message <064B82BC399F6D365AB9AC6A@[192.168.100.25]>
          Alex Bligh <alex@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> --On 22 May 2006 12:40 +0100 Alex Bligh <alex@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>> It's to everyone advantage that we can be sure that Arial etc is
>>> available to all Xara users. This would provide a much more
>>> cross-platform compatible experience.
>>
>> I am assuming there is some IPR problem with these which prevent
>> us from shipping them ourselves (which is why everyone points to the
>> MS site).
>
> Are we sure MS even distribute these:
>  http://www.microsoft.com/typography/faq/faq8.htm
>
> suggests they have discontinued distributing them and all the articles
> I've found with links to them go to a "not found" page at microsoft.

Generally, the URW "Nimbus" fonts are the most widely used free
implementations of the standard PostScript fonts. They are Type-1
fonts.

In various distributions they are installed anyway and if not, a
packaged release could always have a dependency on the font package.

Martin