RE: [XaraXtreme-dev] Substituted fonts and Bug 1057

That license would appear to be very broad and would appear to let us
provide the fonts (as long as it's not for any commercial product). To
quote from the MS Website:

---------

This FAQ is being kept in place for those who downloaded the fonts
before we discontinued the program and for those who downloaded them
from elsewhere.

Q What can I do with these fonts?

A For all the rules that govern the use of these fonts please read the
end user license agreement.

Anyone can download and install these fonts for their own use.
Designers can specify the fonts within their Web pages. Our guide to
specifying fonts in Web pages explains how to do this.
You may only redistribute the fonts in their original form (.exe or
.sit.hqx) and with their original file name from your Web site or
intranet site.
You must not supply the fonts, or any derivative fonts based on them, in
any form that adds value to commercial products, such as CD-ROM or disk
based multimedia programs, application software or utilities. See
Microsoft's permissions site for more details.

The EULA is here http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fontpack/eula.htm

----------

I see from the MS website it confirms that Apple do indeed distribute
the core MS fonts with OS X.

I assume MS did this to try and encourage cross-platform web
compatibility. (in fact their FAQ says this) And yes they appear to have
stopped distributing themselves, but the FAQ exists because the fonts
can be downloaded from elsewhere.

The problem with using any other public domain fonts, such as those
provided with Ghostscript is that they are very poor quality. Last time
I looked I was surprised just how bad they were, even those from the
likes Bitstream and URW, who you'd expect to do a good job.

Charles