RE: [XaraXtreme-dev] Substituted fonts and Bug 1057

In message <939A132057CB53A2E9E7C95C@[192.168.100.25]>
          Alex Bligh <alex@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> --On 23 May 2006 14:14 +0200 Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> In case the default system substitution is not a Helvetica-like font
>> (and unfortunately, on something as common as a vanilla SUSE setup, it
>> is not),
>
> It's nimbus in Ubuntu (technically I suppose it's whatever "ft-match Arial"
> returns)

Yes, (presuming you mean "fc-match Arial"). Just Nimbus or Nimbus
Sans? On SUSE you get SUSE-Sans because the default fontconfig script
maps Arial to an AMT font that is not installed, which means that
Arial is mapped to the global default, which is SUSE Sans. SUSE Sans
is not a Helvetica lookalike though. Nimbus Sans is a much better
match.

Font mapping can be improved significantly by creating a local
fontconfig file that contains the required mappings. It might make
sense to tell our users how to do that. For instance, my local file
~/.fonts.conf reads:

<?xml version="1.0"?><!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<fontconfig>
  <alias>
      <family>Times New Roman</family>
  </alias>
  <alias>
      <family>Arial</family>
  </alias>
  <alias>
      <family>Courier New</family>
  </alias>
  <alias>
      <family>ZapfChan Md BT</family>
  </alias>
  <alias>
      <family>ZapfDingbats BT</family>
  </alias>
  <alias>
      <family>AvantGarde Bk BT</family>
  </alias>
</fontconfig>

This presumes that the global system file /etc/fonts/fonts.conf reads
the user's local file, which is probably pretty standard.

Martin