Re: [XaraXtreme-dev] Installing the desktop file, icons, man page and docs

On Mon, May 29, 2006 at 10:38:39AM +0100, Alex Bligh wrote:
> Vasil,
>
> Vasil Dimov wrote:
>
> >What about installing the desktop file, icons, man page and docs?
> >Something like this:
> >I think to have these files installed by the FreeBSD port and instead of
> >installing them "by hand" - outside the application's infrastructure
> >it's better to have this incorporated in XaraLX itself.
>
> Yes indeed. They were put there for "autopackage" but "make install"
> should work too.
``make install'' installs just $(prefix)/bin/XaraLX

> If you can confirm this works (so, e.g., the desktop
> file gets in the right place so it works, and the doc files are
> put somewhere sensible) I will apply it.
It works under FreeBSD if configure is run with
--datadir=/usr/X11R6/share/XaraLX
--sharedstatedir=/usr/X11R6/share/doc/XaraLX
But this is imperfect and quite ugly.

I think that the desktop file must be installed in
$(prefix)/share/applications/xaralx.desktop
it will work on FreeBSD where it will resolve as
/usr/X11R6/share/applications by default and maybe on Debian - I noticed
a lot of .desktop files in /usr/share/applications/ on the nearby Debian
machine.

Though I am not sure about the icon files

I just noticed that there are some more files distributed with the
binary package. It would be great if ``make install'' can install all of
them. Hold on committing my patch until this gets cleared.

--
Vasil Dimov
gro.DSBeerF@dv

Testing can show the presence of bugs, but not their absence.
                -- Edsger W. Dijkstra