RE: [XaraXtreme-dev] Xara finally dead?

Charles,

On Wed, 2007-08-29 at 22:50 +0100, Charles Moir wrote:

> We'd have to expect to sell a few thousand copies to make it a viable
> commercial product (we know we can sell a LOT more than that on the Mac
> and so that's why that is certainly a viable commercial project for that
> platform now).

Keep in mind a few things here. In the Windows/OS X world Xara has lots
of competition. So sure you all are likely to sell many more copies. You
are going to do it with greater overhead via competition. Or at min with
competition.

Personally IMHO, Adobe owns that world. More so now that they bought
Macromedia. Which I to this day use Fireworks ( yes Fireworks ) and
Flash at times (less animation/time line stuff) to create vector
graphics. Never liked Freehand much, and Illustrator always seemed best
for print.

On Linux there really is nothing to compete with a professional
commercial quality Vector drawing/manipulation/generation application.
So you would own that market, and have little to no competition. Not to
mention be first to that market. Which might motivate say Adobe to
compete with you all. Instead of you all competing directly against
Adobe or etc.

It's not that those on Linux or other FOSS OS won't by commercial
software. It's just that most times that software falls short of it's
counterparts running on other operating systems. So it's more of lack of
features, lack of quality, etc. Which likely stems from little benefit
envisioned from the market, sales and ROI wise. So less effort is made,
money allocated for develop, all around team motivation etc.

Just my 2 cents. I would much rather purchase a native Linux app, than
to have to keep windows ones around that I run in virtual machines. It's
quite a PITA. Not to mention costs me more, since I have to buy a copy
of windows, just to be able to run the apps I need.

--
William L. Thomson Jr.
Gentoo/Java