Re: [XaraXtreme-dev] Interview with Charles

On 28 Nov 2005, at 15:10, Charles Moir wrote:
Not 100% accurate interview, it has to be said, but broadly speaking
it's correct. The 4 chip machine was early prototype of the Acorn
Archimedes, not BBC Micro. All 4 chips were designed by Acorn (the first
ARM processor, VIDC, IOC, MEMC) and that was just about it apart from
ROM and RAM. I've even built myself a wire-wrap prototype using these
chips, that I have around somewhere still - it was that easy. In its day
it was revolutionary in every way, and the production costs of that
machine were a small fraction of the equivalent Atari ST and Amiga of
the same era.

I've been thinking that somebody really should write the Acorn story. They were amazing machines in so many ways. The BBC Micro MOS was an amazing bit of code.

I have a document dated 1987 that very briefly describes the plan for
what was to become Artworks, which is the direct predecessor of Xara
Xtreme today. So this software goes back a long, long way.

Is anyone archiving this stuff? Do we need an equivalent of archive.org for Acorn stories?

(I know this is off topic for the list - but it about the lineage of Xara Xtreme in many ways)

--
Andy Armstrong, hexten.net