RE: [XaraXtreme-dev] Supporting different OS than Linux, Win32, and Mac OS X?

Hi,

On Tue, 2006-01-10 at 15:10 +0000, Alex Bligh wrote:
> Neil / Andreas,
>
> (with apologies for replying to a 3 month old message that only seems
> to have made it through the mail queue today - Xmas post I guess :-) ).
>
> --On 14 October 2005 09:48 +0100 Neil Howe <NeilH@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > We've not considered other platforms yet, we want to give our full
> > attention to the Linux/Mac port first. It's partly a question of
> > manpower, but also a question of focus and not wanting to take on more
> > than we can manage.
>
> Neil's right, but saying that...
>
> --On 13 October 2005 21:38 Andreas Kohn wrote:
> > I'd really like to see (and help making it possible!) a FreeBSD version,
> > and I guess a few people would like to get a DragonflyBSD, NetBSD,
> > Solaris, whatever version.
>
> ... I'm pretty sure an i386 (Free|Net|Dragonfly)BSD GTK2 version would
> pretty much compile out the box when the code is out. The only vaguely
> Linux specific thing I can think the code is doing is reading the
> nanosecond timer - that's mainly for profiling and IIRC is supported
> on BSD as well. So whilst it may not be supported, I'm pretty sure it
> would be easy if not trivial to get working.

Thank you for your answer.

I have been doing some ports from Win32 and Linux code over to other
architectures and operating systems, and this is what I learned from
that:

For many programs, compiling out of the box is usually not prevented by
using certain platform specific features, but rather due to a lot of
implicit assumptions about a platform.
This also includes names of libraries, names of directories, missing,
incomplete checks or checks that get executed but the results ignored in
the configure-stage, order and dependency of includes, and many more.

As such, (most) porting between unix-like operating systems is something
trivial, if you consider finding and fixing these assumptions while
maintaining support for the original platform trivial :)

Regards,
--
Andreas