Re: Re[2]: [XaraXtreme-dev] ... Pong

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 23:27:14 +0100, Thomas Göttgens wrote:
> if http://www.xaraxtreme.org/about/performance.html is still valid,
> i'd rather live with a close-sourced cdraw.

It's hard to say. We've never seen the code for the benchmarks upon
which that was based.

Nor does it say anything about what "cairo" really means in those
charts, (which backend, which cairo?).

Cairo supports multiple backends, such as:

  image backend: an all-software backend

  xlib backend: draws with the XRender interface to the X server, so
                gets as much acceleration as the X server's
                implementation of the Render extension provides.

  glitz backend: draws with OpenGL directly, so again, lots of
                 opportunity for hardware acceleration

I would guess that the chart was based on cairo's image backend.

Also, since that chart was put together, there has been a significant
effort at improving cairo's performance in several areas, (all during
the cairo 1.3.x series). Here is a sampling of the release notes with
performance charts demonstrating some of the improvements.

	http://cairographics.org/news/cairo-1.3.12
	http://cairographics.org/news/cairo-1.3.10
	http://cairographics.org/news/cairo-1.3.4
	http://cairographics.org/news/cairo-1.3.2

Of course, I don't know if any of these improvements address the
things that the original Xara benchmark was hitting. If someone would
care to contribute the code for that (or any other) cairo benchmark,
then we in the cairo community would be quite glad to look into what
could be done to improve it.

-Carl