Re: [XaraXtreme-dev] Ping

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 00:15:12 -0400, "bulia byak" wrote:
> Even in the rendering department, cairo has nothing like, for example,
> Xara's conical or multiple-point gradients.

Cairo does only have linear and radial gradients right now. This is a
shortcoming---and I'd like to eliminate it.

>                                             In fact it is unlikely to
> have anything but linear and radial, because it generally follows the
> SVG model and SVG only has linear and radial gradients (at least in
> the latest version).

Cairo doesn't actually follow the SVG model---they're only connected
in the same way that many 2D graphics interfaces can trace their
heritage back to PostScript.

But the design goal of cairo is actually to provide sufficient
primitives for anything a 2D application might want to draw, (and in
particular if there's a possibility for graphics hardware to
accelerate it).

For gradients, it was quite obvious that linear and radial gradients
would be required since they are so common. Beyond that, what I've
always wanted to add to cairo is a single "mesh gradient" of same type
that would be sufficiently general for applications to implement any
desired gradient at all.

But, yeah, we don't have anything like that implemented yet.

-Carl