[XaraXtreme-dev] Xara's Expectations

Motivated by a recent report that only ~27% of patches to Mozilla projects
were submitted by volunteers leading up to the Firefox 2 release [1] I
started wondering exactly how many outside contributions Xara has received
during the last 11 months. How far short of Xara's expectations have we, "the
community", come up?

First a couple of caveats. I do not intend this post to be antagonistic or
imply that anyone is not acting in good faith and I'm sad that the discussion
has reached the level that I feel I need to include that disclaimer.
Furthermore, the analysis provided below is not scientific in anyway. It was
performed very quickly by someone with only a loose grasp on who the main
players are so I'm sure someone with more inside knowledge could do a much
better job. In fact, I would encourage anyone to make corrections as some of
the numbers I've quoted below may very well be wrong or misleading.

Translations [2]
------------
15,732 messages translated
7 languages
3 languages with > 95% UI translated (not including English)

This would appear to be the area that has been able to attract the most
outside support. As far as I could tell most if not all of this work has been
done by volunteers. Even though I am only fluent in English I would like to
thank everyone who has contributed to this. You all rarely get the
recognition that you deserve.

Downstream Packages
-------------------
Debian & allies (non-free)
Fedora (recently removed)

I know other distros have packages available, unofficial and official, but I
was to lazy to do much searching.

Bugzilla Activity 2006-03-19 to 2007-02-19
67 closed, assigned to non-Xara employees [6]
415 bugs reported [7]
202 reported by non-Xara employees [8]

The distinction between employees and non-employees was made based on the
simplistic assumption that all Xara employees will have "xara" in their email
address. Not surprisingly, the vast majority of the closed bugs assigned to
non-Xara employees are assigned to Alex Bligh. A much larger number of people
account for the bugs reported by non-Xara employees, however.

In addition to the things that I've tried to quantify above I'm sure Xara has
received other benefits from their open source move during the last year. For
example, myself and at least a few other people have purchased their Windows
products explicitly to support further open source development. They have
also received a certain amount of publicity and goodwill, although the latter
seems to be in danger of disappearing.

Although it is clear that a huge number of outside developers have not signed
on to the project, all in all, when I look at the the above numbers they
don't look to bad. This is especially true in light of the fact that we are
talking about the first year of a partially free project that is not included
in most Linux distributions and is relatively unknown even on the platform
where it has been sold for years. Despite these handicaps Xara has clearly
been able to generate interest in the project, otherwise the current
discussion wouldn't be happening. As for the assertion that people are only
interested in "stealing" CDraw for their own projects, I find that a little
bit ridiculous.

Ultimately, however, it doesn't really matter what I think as Xara clearly
does not feel that their expectations have been met. Which brings me back to
my original question: What were Xara's expectations going into this
experiment? Assuming that the release of CDraw was contingent upon some level
of outside involvement, I can't find any statements on the website that
explicitly say this, how many more contributions would have been required to
make this happen? Would 2 more developers actively contributing have been
enough, 5, 10, 100? How many more accepted patches would have been required:
20, 50, 100, 1000? Were any fixed benchmarks ever set or was this more like
the definition of pornography, "I know it when I see it"?

Once again, these observations aren't meant to inflame anyone any further. I'm
simply hoping that we can learn something from this experiment so that the
next time a similar situation arises it can be handled more smoothly.

[1] This number is almost certainly low because only developers who had
submitted 50 or more patches were included.
http://blog.mozilla.com/seth/2007/02/13/community-participation-stats/
[2] https://launchpad.net/xaralx/trunk/+pots/xaralx
The tinyurl links below point to the results of Bugzilla searches that require
an account to view.
[3] http://tinyurl.com/29wdjt
[4] http://tinyurl.com/33g9va
[5] http://tinyurl.com/2quqqq