Please test static .deb package Was: [XaraXtreme-dev] 0.4 Release

Hi,

Am Donnerstag, den 06.04.2006, 11:28 +0200 schrieb Joachim Breitner:
> > Can't we static link in wxWidgets if we are providing binary packages?
>
> Should be possible, I just have to figure out how. But yes, then it
> should be possible to include a .deb that can easily be installed and
> uninstalled on any debian-like system.

I just created a binary-only debian package, that includes, besides the
menu entries and the examples, only the binary from the xaraxtreme.org
download tar.bz2 it is distributed, i.e., wxwidgets are statically
linked. (I could not build such a file myself, as the wxwidgets debian
packages don't provide statical libs).

The package still has dependencies, as the other libs are still pulled
dynamically. I have removed all versioning from these dependencies, and
I'd like to ask anyone who runs a version of Ubuntu or Debian etch or
sarge to install these packages and check if they run with your versions
of these libraries. It works just fine on debian unstable.

I can create these package for any release that might be put on magazin
CDs or similar. This also solves the problem of telling the users to
install libstdc++5, as it now is just a regular dependency.

The version number ensures that if the distribution starts shipping
xaralx package, these will just update this static package.

The package is available for download on:
http://people.debian.org/~nomeata/xaralx/xaralx_0.4r779-0.static.1_i386.deb
in about 10 minutes.

Thanks,
Joachim