RE: [XaraXtreme-dev] Checkins

In message <5056CBC646CB4047BB26120F4377DB719BA2C4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

          "Charles Moir" <CharlesM@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> * Opens and renders all the XAR files we've tried. Rendering 100%
>>> complete. If you find a file that doesn't load and render correctly
>>> let us know please.
>>
>> Well, files with text in don't render right due to font matching
>> issues. Is there nothing we can do here? (try the garden plan without
>> the fonts installed). At the very least tell people there are missing
>> fonts. The release notes could also advocate installing the MS fonts
>> (assuming this is legal, as I understand it to be).
>
> Yes installing MS fonts is legal and most distributions even include a
> package that installs them, from what I've seen.
>
> The font issue is no worse than it is on Windows when you don't have the
> right font. It seems to make a reasonably good guess at finding an
> alternative.

Currently, this depends on the global font configuration, i.e., the
fontconfig script, which is based on font names only. I will add
Panose support so XaraLX can try and make a better guess, at least for
documents that have Panose information embedded and local fonts with
Panose information.

> But yes it should warn users, as the Windows one does, of missing fonts
> on load, and should show the missing fonts in the Document Properties
> dialog (when that appears).

I will have a go at that as soon as I have added kerning support. It
might require a refinement on what the font manager considers an
"exact" match as opposed to a "compatible" match (perhaps with a
configuration file that allows certain imprecise matches without
causing a warning).

Martin