XCode 2.2 (was Re: [XaraXtreme-dev] Problems with ranlib while compiling XaraLX)

On 11/04/06, Andy Davison <andydavison@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 11/04/06, Ben Fowler <ben.the.mole@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On 10/04/06, Andy Davison <andydavison@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > ranlib: for architecture i386 object:
> > > /Users/andy/Xara/XaraLX/libs/darwin/libCDraw.a(libCDrawStatic.a-i386-master.o)
> > > malformed object (unknown flavor for flavor number 0 in LC_UNIXTHREAD
> > > command 3 can't byte swap it)
> > >
> > [ snip ]
>
> That's got it sorted - after an >800MB download I can get past the
> ranlib problem. It's a fresh OS X 10.4.6 install (not upgrade from
> Panther) which previously had Xcode Tools v2 (straight from the OS X
> 10.4.0 install DVD). Installing v2.2.1 has ranlib working properly - I
> didn't realise there was an update!

Yes. It is bigger than one CD, so burning a copy is a little tricky.
You might need to monitor the XCode pages on cocoadev or on the Apple
web site (both links are in the build instructions) or even subscribe
to one of the Apple mailing lists.

At the end of next week, I will submit a further patch to the docs,
but there is nothing to stop anyone else doing so first. I worry that
when adding to docs, one always increases their length, now whilst
this may not be do bad if it happens once, it will destroy the value
of the documentation if allowed unchecked, so you might want to
remove/improve/shorten my paragraph starting "Having said that ...".
Also, I am not 100% certain what is the exact criterion for success,
it is true that what you have done: A fresh install of Tiger followed
by the latest downloadable Apple tools will always work (and I hope
that this is how it is done in Gaddesden Place), but it strikes me as
a lot of work, and possibly too much for someone without a scratch
machine/external drive for development.

Ben