--enable-debug (was Re: [XaraXtreme-dev] Problems with ranlib while compiling XaraLX)

On 11/04/06, Andy Davison <andydavison@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 11/04/06, Ben Fowler <ben.the.mole@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On 10/04/06, Andy Davison <andydavison@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > [ snip ]
> > >

> I also found that the only way to get it to begin compiling was to issue:
>
> ./configure --enable-debug
> --with-wx-config=/Users/andy/wxMac-2.6.3/build-unicode-debug/wx-config

Yes, you are the second person to mention this to me. I will submit a
patch to the Build Instructions but I can't be sure that it will be
accepted, because I suspect that the official builds do not use debug
versions of the wx library.

At this stage I would recommend using whatever seems simplest, and to
be aware that recommended practice may be subject to change.

More significantly, perhaps, the Darwin GCC uses the verbose STABS
format, and you may find that the wx library with debugging
information and the Xara LX binaries are each just over 400 MB in
size. This is inconvenient at the least, and again makes distribution
of test builds on a CD more or less impossible. (Non-debug builds are
about 10% of this size, but even so, to meet a size budget of 10 to 20
MB for Xara LX may need a certain amount of research). You might want
to read this page which has some background information:
http://blogs.adobe.com/scottbyer/2006/03/macintosh_and_t.html

Ben