Re: [XaraXtreme-dev] Problems with ranlib while compiling XaraLX

On 11/04/06, Ben Fowler <ben.the.mole@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 10/04/06, Andy Davison <andydavison@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi all, ...
> >
> > ranlib: for architecture i386 object:
> > /Users/andy/Xara/XaraLX/libs/darwin/libCDraw.a(libCDrawStatic.a-i386-master.o)
> > malformed object (unknown flavor for flavor number 0 in LC_UNIXTHREAD
> > command 3 can't byte swap it)
> >
> > [ snip ]
> >
> > Any clues?
>
> Could you check that you have XCode 2.2 or later (I think that 2.21 is
> out), and that you installed afresh, rather than overwriting a Panther
> install. I am not certain whether that applies to the OS as a whole,
> or just to the developer tools.

That's got it sorted - after an >800MB download I can get past the
ranlib problem. It's a fresh OS X 10.4.6 install (not upgrade from
Panther) which previously had Xcode Tools v2 (straight from the OS X
10.4.0 install DVD). Installing v2.2.1 has ranlib working properly - I
didn't realise there was an update!

> If you can work out how to provide that instruction concisely, it
> needs to go onto the Mac build instructions page.

"Ensure your version of Xcode Tools has been updated to at least
v2.2.1, available from the Apple Developers website
(http://developer.apple.com/). Some users may experience problems
executing 'ranlib' if their Xcode installation is older than this, or
potentially if their OS X install was an 'upgrade installation' from
OS X 10.3 Panther."

I also found that the only way to get it to begin compiling was to issue:

./configure --enable-debug
--with-wx-config=/Users/andy/wxMac-2.6.3/build-unicode-debug/wx-config

Rather than:

./configure --with-wx-config=/Users/yourname/wxMac-2.6.3/build-unicode-debug/wx-config

However, it still breaks down, this time with:

.././wxOil/outputpng.h:109:17: error: png.h: No such file or directory

There is a thread which mentions a similar problem to this called
'Compiling XaraLx on MacosX' on the Talk Graphics forums, so I will
try following some of the suggestions on there and report back when
I've had a chance.

Thanks for your help,

    Andy.