PNG libraries (Re: [XaraXtreme-dev] Problems with ranlib while compiling XaraLX)

On 12/04/06, Phil Martin <phil@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> ... Doesn't wxWidgets contain those libs? And if so, why can't
>  we force XaraLX to link to thoseversions rather than trying to find
>  independent versions? That would be a lot neater.

I don't have the documentation to hand, but IIRC wx can either use its
own version or link with installed libraries. Personally, I prefer the
second policy. If it turns out that it is better to adopt the first,
then fair enough.

I wouldn't characterise the fink installation as independent (I
realise that it is non-Apple, and from the point of view of Xara and
wxWdigets it is third party), but fink is more or less universally
used by Mac developers.

The Seashore project, http://sourceforge.net/projects/seashore/ , and
probably Abiword http://www.abisource.com/~hub/ (which doesn't compile
at the moment) have the same problem. I think that it is simpler to
yiou the fink libraries, if you think that it is either simpler or
better to use some other libraries then just say, and perhaps amend
the Instructions to reflect this. Though I haven't tried it,
configuring wx as you suggested above would seem to be perfectly
possible and effective.

Ben