RE: [XaraXtreme-dev] Problems with ranlib while compiling XaraLX

Thanks a lot for this guys. Phil will look at updating the Mac build
instructions again with your findings.

Neil

On
> Behalf Of Andy Davison
> Sent: 11 April 2006 23:26
> To: dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: [XaraXtreme-dev] Problems with ranlib while compiling
XaraLX

> On 11/04/06, Ben Fowler <ben.the.mole@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On 10/04/06, Andy Davison <andydavison@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Hi all, ...
> > >
> > > ranlib: for architecture i386 object:

/Users/andy/Xara/XaraLX/libs/darwin/libCDraw.a(libCDrawStatic.a-i386-
> master.o)
> > > malformed object (unknown flavor for flavor number 0 in
LC_UNIXTHREAD
> > > command 3 can't byte swap it)
> > >
> > > [ snip ]
> > >
> > > Any clues?
> >
> > Could you check that you have XCode 2.2 or later (I think that 2.21
is
> > out), and that you installed afresh, rather than overwriting a
Panther
> > install. I am not certain whether that applies to the OS as a whole,
> > or just to the developer tools.
>
> That's got it sorted - after an >800MB download I can get past the
> ranlib problem. It's a fresh OS X 10.4.6 install (not upgrade from
> Panther) which previously had Xcode Tools v2 (straight from the OS X
> 10.4.0 install DVD). Installing v2.2.1 has ranlib working properly - I
> didn't realise there was an update!
>
> > If you can work out how to provide that instruction concisely, it
> > needs to go onto the Mac build instructions page.
>
> "Ensure your version of Xcode Tools has been updated to at least
> v2.2.1, available from the Apple Developers website
> (http://developer.apple.com/). Some users may experience problems
> executing 'ranlib' if their Xcode installation is older than this, or
> potentially if their OS X install was an 'upgrade installation' from
> OS X 10.3 Panther."
>
> I also found that the only way to get it to begin compiling was to
issue:

> ./configure --enable-debug
> --with-wx-config=/Users/andy/wxMac-2.6.3/build-unicode-debug/wx-config
>
> Rather than:
>
> ./configure
--with-wx-config=/Users/yourname/wxMac-2.6.3/build-unicode-