Re: [XaraXtreme-dev] Problems with ranlib while compiling XaraLX

--On 12 April 2006 11:00 +0100 Phil Martin <phil@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

I added the --enable-debug parameter to the XaraLX configure command.

I'm hoping that we can solve the png/jpeg library issues by using
wxWidgets, in which case the mac build instructions will be simplified
somewhat. If anyone wants to try doing this and suggest appropriate
config commands please go ahead because I won't be able to look at this
for a while.

Non-mac specific comment:

Assuming a static linkage to wxWidgets:

If wxWidgets is static linked to pnglib, then you have (it seems to me) no
guarantee ALL the pnglib functions will be available - it only needs to
incorporate those wxWidgets uses. Even those (technically) don't need to be
exposed though they invariably are. That's certainly what seems to happen
with gtk functions. If wxWidgets is dynamically linked to pnglib, I
can't remember what happens if you then try and static link in
wxWidgets.

I would have thought that if we are going to call a library, we should
use it's own include files and link directly to it, else there is a risk
that the include files (which we build against) may not match the library
that we eventually link with.

Alex