Re: [XaraXtreme-dev] JPEG lib namespace

In message <4444A130.8040804@xxxxxxxx>
          Luke Hart <lukeh@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The official distribution of the JPEG library does not use C naming if
> __cplusplus is defined, but a quite popular patch is to add this. I
> found a distribution that does not have this patch over the weekend (but
> upgrading to an unstable version did).

True. For instance, on the current version of SUSE (10.0), which is
the distribution I use, the program fails to link unless I uncomment
the extern "C" lines in jpeglib_namespace.h.

> Would uncommenting your 'extern "C"' lines cause an serious problems
> for distributions that do the work themsleves?

I do not think nested extern "C" blocks are forbidden (but I could not
find any definitive statement on this in Stroustrup), so I cannot
think of a reason why the lines cannot be uncommented.

> If not I suspect that the best soultion may be to un-comment them.

Yes, I agree.

Martin