[XaraXtreme-dev] Re: Debugging drags

--On 18 April 2006 19:17 +0100 Alex Bligh <alex@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I am presuming it's also possible in Ubuntu to run
more than one "classic" XServers (i.e. two real X
Servers both using the same graphics h/w),
and have CTRL-ALT-F7/F8 switch between them. It should
then be possible to debug a program in a completely
separate X environment, though no doubt the Xauth
problem needs tweaking. This has the disadvantage
that you won't (obviously) be able to simultaneously
see kdevelop/gdb and the application you are
debugging (though you can flick between them). I haven't
yet tested this one.

Tested. It works.

For those not familiar - quick tutorial:

This method is rather easier as it happens, can be
configure all in the GUI (at least on Ubuntu) so
Phil will like it ( :-) ), Camelot still runs with
whatever X acceleration it has before.

Assuming you are running gdm, run gdmsetup as root.
In Ubuntu, you can do this from the System Menu
by choosing Administration. Then Login Screen Startup.

On Redhat:
 Applications => System Settings => Login Screen.
gets you there.

I also forgot to say that if you want display 1 to
work, you have to log in to it (somewhat obvious,
but...)

Alex