Re: PNG libraries on Mac OS (was Re: [XaraXtreme-dev] Problems with ranlib while compiling XaraLX)

On 24/04/06, Ben Fowler <ben.the.mole@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [ snip ]
>
> This may not be the end of the story. Since wx makes use of PNG only as
> backing for its wxBitmap class, there is an over-arching question of why
> Camelot needs PNG at all. Whilst I haven't looked at every file, it would
> seem plausible that the Kernel should use a Bitmap abstraction (such as
> KernelBitmap) which could call through the Oil layer. If, for example,
> that layer were to implement its Bitmap services simply by using wxBitmap,
> there should be no need for Camelot to call any PNG routines, and no need
> for any part of Camelot to include png.h.
>
> I would be tempted to rip out the OILBitmap classes (preserved in amber
> perhaps, in case the bitmap code needs to be made pluggable) and replace
> with wxBitmap. Of course, even if this were agreed, it is quite possible
> that the time is not right, but I hope that my reasoning is clear.

I meant to preface that by urging interested parties to study Chapter
10 of the Brooklyn Bridge book before deciding to go down the wxBitmap
route. Just think, several days fiddling with the Makefiles, the code,
and unit tests could save a few minutes reading the provided
documentation.

Ben