RE: [XaraXtreme-dev] Commercial Xara Xtreme Version for Linux?

On Tue, 2007-04-03 at 11:19 +0100, Charles Moir wrote:

> So do you think a commercial version would sell?

If it's quality is the same as on other platforms. I purchased Code
Weaver for Linux way back in the day. Compared to other platforms, I was
less than impressed.

Also for that it's worth, I had a professional falling out with
Macromedia over their refusal to port any apps to Linux. That was years
ago >5 or so. Still to this day nada, and Adobe is not better. No hint
of a full on Acrobat for Linux, and not Acrobat Reader. For what it's
worth, I have stopped buying updates to my MM/Adobe products since they
all run on windows.

My single biggest need in Linux, which is why I tend to keep a windows
machine around. Is for Vector graphics creation, manipulation, and
rendering/rastering to bitmap format or etc. My primary apps for vectors
are Flash (for it's drawing abilities, not animation or etc also ability
to take a bitmap and turn it into a crude vector), Illustrator, and
believe it or not Fireworks. With newer versions of Fireworks they added
ability to create and modify vectors, but of course can only save to a
bitmap format. Other than a .png format that retains vector information
that pretty much only Fireworks understands.

I purchased those apps for Windows, why would I not purchase them if
they were available on Linux. Given the lack of any professional quality
vector graphics applications on Linux. The first to produce one, would
own that market, IMHO.

--
William L. Thomson Jr.
Gentoo/Java