Re: [XaraXtreme-dev] Xara Xtreme 4.0 released

On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 5:18 PM, Charles Moir <CharlesM@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> That comparison list wasn't even accurate for Xara version 3.

Care to provide any specifics?

>  It would be ridiculously easy for me to create a list as long, probably
>  a lot longer of all the advantages of Xara has over Inkscape - and
>  that's apart from the real basics such as ease of use, performance and
>  reliability.

Ease of use is not a feature by itself. It is composed of a lot of
smaller features. And this list aims to enumerate them on both sides.

Performance _is_ listed, very prominently, as the first item in Xara
advantages.

Reliability - do you have any quantifiable data on that? If so, of
course feel free to add it.

(Sorry but that reminds me of your claims of outperforming Cairo by
some insane margin, but when Carl Worth asked you for specifics of
your testing, AFAIK you never came up with the real data.)

> But since it's your list I really can't see the point in
>  playing that game.

Charles, you know what, we in the open source world very rarely claim
something as "mine" or "yours". It's _ours_. It's for the common good.
We at Inkscape are not in the business of producing shiny but
misleading commercial press releases. We may be biased in how we view
things (who is not?) but we strive to be open and honest.

As for this page, it is provided for public information and aims to be
as complete as possible. I originally compiled it, trying in all
honesty to list everything I know about the two programs from many
years of using them both. Of course no one would expect to find such a
list publicly on Xara's site; commercial entities do not operate like
that. But please try to understand that we are not a commercial entity
and our motivation is different.

The page is on a public Wiki. Everyone is free to register and edit
it. I am not aware of any episode of censorship of contrarian views on
our Wiki. Moreover, on several occasions I promoted this URL on
talkgraphics and other forums, inviting Xara users to edit it from
their perspective.

>  I'm sure users are not that naive to take such lists seriously (whether
>  it was produced by Xara or Inkscape)

I'm sorry but this comment just doesn't make sense to me. Users who
are interested in the topic would certainly be interested to read a
detailed in-depth comparison of two important and largely similar
programs.

--
bulia byak
Inkscape. Draw Freely.