Re: [XaraXtreme-dev] libstdc++5 or 6

Alex Bligh wrote:

--On 04 May 2006 16:38 +0100 Neil Howe <NeilH@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

What will happen on a system that is based on libstdc++5?

From the above comments it seems that according to Alex it will be fine,
the distro tools will just find and install libstdc++6.

Well I actually meant that in reverse. A libstdc++5 distro is unlikely
to have a libstdc++6 library, but if it does, the following should work.

But Luke implies that installing v6 would mean huge numbers of other
packages on the system having to be updated to use v6 instead of v5. An
update that is so big that in practice it rules out installing xaralx on
such v5 based systems.

Which assessment is correct?

I think Luke based his assessment on the assumption there was no
libstdc++6 available without upgrading the entire distro. He's right
that that will be problematic. For such distros we will have to do
a gcc 3.3 RPM (for instance).

Alex

All,

Thinking about it, when gcc >= 3.4 is installed it must also install libstd++v5, but this obviously will come with lots of baggage (like the whole compiler collection)! Reallistically the only way of intsalling it maybe from source, since I don't think most v5 based distributions offer this as an option.

   Luke