RE: [XaraXtreme-dev] autopackage

> Charles Moir wrote:
> > this' and probably even asking for admin password any less secure
that
> > having the user go through an absurd, user-hostile, utterly secret
and
> > hidden file permissions process. It's that attitude that will
forever
> > assign Linux to geekdom and to never be taken as a seriously as a
mass
> > market OS.
>
> Whatever your views, this is a distro issue. If you use (on Ubuntu)
> a .deb, it works (you can double click on it) (I believe). If you
> do what you are meant to do (put it in a repository), it works.
> If you use a tool which does not produce an Ubuntu package, well,
> it's (very slightly) more difficult.
>
> The way distros are meant to work is to encourage people to get
> their s/w into the distro. If it's not in the distro, or you
> choose not to use the distro installer, it won't be digitally
> signed, and it won't be so easy to install it.
>
> If and when LX is in Ubuntu/Redhat/Whatever (and by "in", I
> mean even in multiverse), this problem goes away.
>
> Alex

Yes we've discussed installation and related problems quite a lot on
this list. Right now I think the best way forward is for us to
distribute LX as an Autopackage and leave the controllers of the various
distributions to build correct rpm/deb files for their systems -
hopefully not too long after we release each update.

This may have to change if/when we end up with a lot of dependencies
since we'll have to find or build autopackages for those dependencies.

The web site now includes an autopackage for the latest build, with
instructions that should overcome the problems Phil described this
morning.

Thanks

Neil