RE: [XaraXtreme-dev] Executing Default Web Browser?

> >> So what are you suggesting, try "gnome-www-browser" and "htmlview"
> >> (in some order) and if neither are there fall back to
> >> wxLaunchDefaultWebBrowser?
> >>
> >> That would avoid the need for session manager detection.
> >>

> > Luke - on FC4 and Ubuntu an error alert is shown when you try and
invoke
> > the help from LX. Is that error displayed by LX or by the call to
> > wxLaunchDefaultWebBrowser? If it's the latter then we can't use it
as it
> > stands in the ordered list of things to try. It would need to fail
> > silently.
>
> Surely that's not the case, because on Ubuntu and FC4 one of the
earlier
> calls would have succeeded do wxLaunchDefaultWebBrowser would never
> be called? Or am I missing something?

So what you mean is that it doesn't matter that
wxLaunchDefaultWebBrowser shows an error as long as it's the last thing
we try? I guess so.

I still think we should add:-

firefox ../share/xaralx/doc/en/xaralx.htm
mozilla ../share/xaralx/doc/en/xaralx.htm
conqueror ../share/xaralx/doc/en/xaralx.htm

into the list of things we try, before wxLaunchDefaultWebBrowser. On my
SUSE 10, FC4 and Ubuntu 10.1 systems at least 2 out of those 3 work
fine.

This is crude as hell, but presumably simple to implement as a temporary
measure in the absence of any standard way of doing this that actually
stands a chance of working on the majority of systems. And it may not
work for all users, but right now the alternative seems to be no help at
all in 0.5.

Obviously this logic will be in a single function somewhere whose task
is to bring up the help. We can replace it any time if/when a better way
is identified.

Neil