Re: [XaraXtreme-dev] Substituted fonts and Bug 1057

In message <68E7998B20CDDAF406DDF4FD@[192.168.100.25]>
          Alex Bligh <alex@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> --On 22 May 2006 11:54 -0700 Carl Worth <cworth@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> For example, couldn't the hard-coded default font in the application
>> simply be "serif".
>
> Well, "Sans" actually
>
>> Then, when saving the document, what would get put
>> into the file is whatever font the pattern "serif" actually got
>> resolved to on the designer's machine, (so that the document will
>> contain something consistent with what the designer actually saw).
>>
>> Any reason why that wouldn't just work? Or is there some other
>> question I'm missing here?
> [...]
> I don't /think/ we can actually encode "Sans" (rather than "Serif") in the
> file because it then won't load on Xtreme - a file format issue. But what
> we can do (I hope) is specify something that will cause a font substitution
> on Load.

I do not think Carl proposed encoding "Serif" or "Sans" in the
document. Rather, having a default font "Sans" that is resolved to a
real existing font (taking the user's own choices into account or by
default, the system-wide font configuration) on the machine where the
document is created. Then, that font name is put in the document.

Of course, that font name could be anything because the user can
choose to map "Sans" to any font he/she likes, but it will always be a
font that is actually present on the machine when the document is
created, which might be slightly better than using a font name like
"Arial" that is likely to be absent on most systems, even on that of
the original creator of the file.

Martin