Re: [XaraXtreme-dev] Startup problems due to help

Martin Wuerthner wrote:
Since the latest change that enabled the help functionality XaraLX fails to start up here. After some tracing through the code I noticed that InitHelpPath insists on finding the directory /usr/share/xaralx/doc/en, which does not exist here - which is not a surprise since I cannot see how that should have been created by the build process.

Do we really want the application to refuse to start up just because it cannot find its help files? We have done fine without them up to now, so we should really allow the app to start without them.

Even worse, the error message is rather less than helpful: In non-debug mode, an empty error box is displayed. In debug mode, it reads "InformGeneral: This error has already been reported". The trace says "Recursive InformGeneral - Error in error handler! (1)".

So, if we really insist on bombing out just because there is no help file, we should at least have a proper error message.

Martin
Sorry about that, I hadn't realized that a failure in InitHelpPath would propagate back and cause the application to bomb out. Fixed in current head (SVN #1427)

   Luke