Version of wxWidgets (was Re: [XaraXtreme-dev] setup.h and configuring wxWidgets)

On 12/08/06, Alex Bligh <alex@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Ben,

> 1. Do you want us to be using wxWidget-2.7 or wxWidgets-CVS?

Hang on, confusion here. wxWidgets maintains two release series,
both called 2.x. Where x is even, that's a stable series (2.6
being the latest one). Where x is odd, it's an unstable development
series (2.7 being the latest one). Whether you get a CVS copy
of either, or a point copy (latest being 2.6.3 and 2.7.0) is
an orthogonal question.

I would recommend using 2.6.3 (the latest stable version) if it
works, else (which is what we do for the static build) use
a recent WX_2_6_BRANCH from cvs (i.e. the 2.6 series latest
development). I am hoping we don't need to use 2.7; on Linux
I've got Camelot to compile against 2.7 and it runs, but is
not extensively tested.

I am using 2.6.3 - my question came about because I wasn't aware that
we had a choice, perhaps indeed we don't. Maybe the next step will be
on to 2.6.4 or 2.8.x, but speaking personally, the longer than this
can delayed, the better. I was simply asking whether the time had come
when 2.6.3 was about to deprecated (for Xara LX), as I knew that I had
not following every post about wxWidgets on this Dev list

I see no point at all in looking at 2.5, because that was the
previous unstable development series before 2.6 and is now
deprecated.

MacOS X Tiger came with wxWidgets 2.5, and it is the only version that
I have seen in Gentoo to date, but I agree that using an unstable
branch, particularly an old one, without a good and specific reason is
not a wise idea at all!

Ben.