[XaraXtreme-dev] Xara's Features

Hello, everybody!

I've been a graphic designer since 1978, using computer tools to do designs since about 1985, starting with Pagemaker from Aldus in Portland Oregon. From there to CorelDraw!, Paint Shop Pro, Photoshop, Freehand, InDesign, Fontographer, Fontlab for custom font creation, and now, Inkscape, GIMP, and Xara Xtreme for Linux. I retired from making money at graphic design, newspapers and magazines, in 1996, just about the time I first started using Linux, Redhat. Still do designs for the web and mailing lists.

When Xara was ported to Linux last year I started using it on Fedora and now on Ubuntu. It is to slickest way to do graphic design 95% of the time, faster than any other design program I use or have used. The way it does shadows, feathering, multipoint filling and transparency, bevels, contours, blends, and handles text is the way most graphic designers would like Illustrator to work. And all in real time, all so fast and quick with few keystrokes or mouse clicks. Xara is one neat, cool program!

So, folks, can't we come together to move the program into the future, even though it is almost complete now. I would like it to import WMFs as vectors, copy and paste to the Linux clipboard, and export true PDFs. For me, that would be sufficient. To ever get it to the level of the present Windows Pro version is almost too much to ask. For me, SVGs are of little importance.

frank