Re: [XaraXtreme-dev] Tools folder - what is it good for?

On 24 Mar 2006, at 18:46, Alex Bligh wrote:

--On 24 March 2006 18:35 +0000 Ben Summers <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

So, would it be possible to auto-generate a C binary interface which
doesn't change when you change the C++ object? Could it be little more than a shim layer? And I'm sure it could be source code compatible, so a
plugin could be compiled in without the shim layer.

I am not sure how "auto-", but yes perhaps.

If you select the classes of interest, then use the output of nm to find all the relevant functions in that class, you should be able to do something simple but effective which will insulate from binary changes as the classes evolve.

But I still think the current
directory distinction is not helpful. It doesn't (for instance) specify which bits of API would need such auto-generation. Tools (quite correctly)
call into the Oil layer, for instance to get resources. Part of the
issue here would be designating which bits of API are meant to remain
stable, so they could be "en-shimmed".

I didn't mean to suggest that the whole task would be easy, just that the use of C++ itself should not be a barrier.

Ben