Re: [XaraXtreme-dev] Xara Xtreme 4.0 released

On Thu, 3 Apr 2008 19:41:48 -0300, "bulia byak" wrote:
> >  sometimes you really do need to use the software backend. We've got
> >  our own benchmarks on the cairo list showing that liboil code can do
> >  much faster compositing than what's currently in cairo/pixman and
> >  several experimental scanline-based polygon rasterizers, (presumably
> >  similar to the approach in Xara), that are much faster for software
> >  rendering than cairo's current tessellate-then-rasterize-trapezoids
> >  approach.
>
> Great news! So is there any timeframe for when we can see this in
> released cairo?

Not really. Both of these things came across the mailing list quite
some time ago as independent "look, here's some code that runs faster"
things, but the actual integration into cairo itself hasn't happened
yet.

Cairo is participating in Google's Summer of Code for the first time
this year, and it looks like a faster-performing rasterizer is going
to be a popular thing for people to work on there. So hopefully
something will come of that.

We're obviously far off topic now...

So just to pull it back again, things like good
algorithms/implementations for rasterization are a great common
touch-point where projects like xara, inkscape, and cairo could all be
working together. I'd still love to see a vibrant Xara community
within the free-software community. And I'm still willing to do
whatever I can to support it.

It's definitely a shame that hasn't been possible to date.

-Carl