RE: [XaraXtreme-dev] Executing Default Web Browser?

Neil,

Yes please, that would be very helpful. Otherwise we're going to have to
leave the help out of 0.5.

Is there someone that
runs KDE who could tell me:
a) what the test program returns, and

I have a SUSE VM I can try that runs KDE, but it has no wx or dev
packages on it - it's just a base install. Can you send me the test
program?

The one I attached before. Attached again. Instructions for compiling
it are at the top (one line).

b) what the equivalent of gnome-www-browser is on KDE (I seem to
remember
   there being some switch between Konqueror and whatever else but its
   about 5 years since I've used a KDE system).

What is gnome-www-browser? I don't have a package of that name installed
on my FC4 which is running gnome desktop. And no programs called
gnome-www-browser or gnome-www-default-browser. ?

Oh. So typing "gnome-www-browser" does not launch a web browser
on FC4? Well that sounds like the end of that idea. I had assumed it
was a gnome thing but it looks like it a debian & ubuntu only thing.
So much for that plan. Could you just try "locate gnome-www-browser"
just to ensure this idea is completely dead.

Sadly I don't even think it's something we can "port" as it ends up
as a symbolic link to a different script depending on the web browser
installed.

Oh, and running the firefox binary isn't going to work as there are at
least three different invocations of firefox depending on the version
(i.e. different command lines), and at least three different filenames,
and several different possible install locations, not all of which
are on the path (this from a conversation with someone who tried to
get a script just to launch firefox). What a mess.

How about instead using wxHTMLWindow etc. to launch help? IE be
our own browser? It's pretty basic, put probably better than nothing
which is I think what we'll otherwise have. If samples/html/test/test
works sufficiently well in deploying the help, that might be the way
to go. WDYT?

Alex
/*
Prints session managers vendorname (e.g, GnomeSM)
gcc -Wall -O2 -o smvendor smvendor.c -lX11 -lSM
*/
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <X11/Xlib.h>
#include <X11/SM/SMlib.h>

int
main (int argc, char **argv)
{
        Display     *dpy;
        SmcConn     smc_conn;
        char        *vendor;
        char        *client_id_ret;
        dpy = XOpenDisplay(NULL);

        smc_conn = SmcOpenConnection(NULL, NULL,
                                     999, 999,
                                     0 /* mask */, NULL /* callbacks */,
                                     NULL, &client_id_ret, 0, NULL);

        vendor = SmcVendor(smc_conn);
        printf("Session manager vendor: %s\n", vendor);
        free(vendor);

        SmcCloseConnection(smc_conn, 0, NULL);
        free(client_id_ret);

        XCloseDisplay(dpy);