RE: [XaraXtreme-dev] Rescanning available fonts

--On 19 May 2006 10:28 +0100 Charles Moir <CharlesM@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

In fact Adobe show a range of start-up progress notifications, listing
fonts, enumerating plug-ins (another time consuming thing).

On the other hand our near instant start-up is a huge plus for our
product (and when we come to start using it as a Photo viewer - planned
- it will be a requirement)

Different build?

If you want to use the same build, we could always have a command line
option to disable certain things. Plugins would be an obvious thing to
disable enumerating on a viewer as well.

In fact our static splash screen is very static - even the versions and
compile numbers, dates are hard-wired in. We really need to be able to
display strings on it.  Is that easy with the new Splash class?

Not so easy I want to do it for 0.5, but now I am subclassing (well,
actually reimplementing) the splash screen we can do stuff like this. The
main difficulty is making sure we don't use things like language-local
resources before the system to load them has started up etc. If you can
bear a fraction of a second between when the graphic comes up and when the
grey box on top of it comes up, I could paint the grey box myself on top,
automatically update version, SVN revision etc (whatever you want), put in
some sort of progress bar, etc. etc. - I'd do this all in the Oil layer so
we don't need DialogManager etc. started.

Alex