Re: [XaraXtreme-dev] Pop-up slider - more

On Tue, 2006-07-25 at 21:36 +0100, Alex Bligh wrote:
> > So to really test whether this 'stay-around' mode really works we must
> > fix that. Or, given then 0.7 deadline, that we revert back to the pop-up
> > and go-away on the mouse-up on the slider. I'd sort of like to give the
> > Adobe way a go actually.
>
> I'll leave Mart to say whether he can fix that, or revert
> the one line change,

It is very hard to hack around the native behaviour, given a time
constraint. I would have to go to the lowest X11 levels to forward mouse
clicks, or change the fundamentals of how wxTransientPopupWindow,
wxComboCtrl and wxComboPopup work (make new classes in wxXtra for each
of those), and deal with a lot of specific problems for either of those.
So if Mac-mode solves it once it's done, I don't see how hacking on it
would be beneficial, as working on the above would take 1 to 3 days, if
ever possible in a reliable fashion.
Can we go back to the "Hide popup after the slider has been moved by the
thumb" behaviour, as per the idea in Charles forum post of as less
clicks as possible, and I'll concentrate on the Mac behaviour soon after
the release?

Is there anything else that should be getting into the release from my
side, considering the time available for it? The borders seem to work
now :)

> but for maximum (minimum?) amusement value, read:
>    http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=22323
> where we have a dedicated bunch of users who don't want a pop-up
> slider at all! (i.e. they like the old Xara LX interface).

I'll keep that link handy as an additional reference :)
Given the argument on there that it's for more precise tuning with the
slider thanks to the possibility of the slider being larger in the
pop-up - is the current width of the popup wide enough?

> As it happens the "feather bar" still has the old control on,
> so they can get their way. Equally, once bars are reconfigurable
> we can provide both sorts of control I should think.
>
> Personally I think their concerns will mostly be addressed when the
> Mac-mode stuff is available in any case.

I agree. I have some specific use cases that I don't know how to
properly handle in Mac-mode, but I'll get to those together with process
on the Mac mode.

Mart