Re: [XaraXtreme-dev] Current/default font

In message <91b80a4d4e.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> This would obviate the need to do the substitution.
>> In effect I think you are saying it actually works like this already
>> in the document (as well as in the file on disk) which I didn't
>> know. It's having an attribute hanging around that looks like
>> it's in an uninstalled font which is the bad thing as far as I'm
>> concerned.
>
> I do not think this does any harm as is. In my opinion, it would do
> harm to change it, though not as much as I originally claimed.
> However, it would still do harm because if we ever release a version
> of Camelot that *does* change the default font attribute of a
> document, then, from that moment on, we will not be able to fix the
> idiosyncratic behaviour of font attributes in some future version
> because such a future version will then save documents with text in
> Times New Roman that does not have a font attribute.

[Sorry, I left the thought unfinished, it continues as...]

... and such documents would then display incorrectly when loaded into
any "default font attribute changing" version of Camelot.

Besides, I bet, the .xar file specification does not say that text
objects may not inherit the default font attribute, so even today,
someone could create a perfectly valid .xar file that would then not
display correctly if we decided to change the default font.

Martin